Mesa Assault Defense Lawyers
Delivering Strong Defense Strategies in the East Valley
Individuals are often surprised when they are charged with assault because the assault charge stems from an argument they had with a family member or a disagreement at a social establishment.
Arizona law defines assault as:
- Intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly causing any physical injury to another person
- Intentionally placing another person in reasonable apprehension of impending physical injury
- Knowingly touching another person with the intent to injure, insult, or provoke the person
At Edwards & Petersen | PLC, we understand that there is often a reasonable explanation for what really transpired. This is why you need a Mesa assault defense attorney to protect your rights and make sure your side of the story is heard.
Jail Time & Fines for Misdemeanor Assault
The maximum penalties for a first-time misdemeanor assault conviction range from 30 days to six months of imprisonment. The maximum fines for a first-time misdemeanor assault conviction range from $300.00 up to $2,500.00 plus restitution for the damage caused if any. This type of behavior can also be grounds for Orders of Protection or an Injunction Against Harassment.
Felony Assault Charges
Assault at the felony level is called aggravated assault.
To be considered aggravated assault, the crime must have:
- Caused serious physical injury
- Involved the use of a deadly weapon
- Involved physically restraining the victim
- Occurred in the victim’s personal residence
- Been committed against a police officer, firefighter, prison guard, teacher, health care practitioner, park ranger, prosecutor, or public defender
If the alleged crime meets at least one of these requirements, the perpetrator could be facing serious felony charges. The penalties for aggravated assault depend on the nature of the crime and the circumstances of the incident. A first-offense aggravated assault could lead to 5-15 years in prison, while a subsequent offense could carry a 10- to 25-year prison sentence. You might also be fined up to $150,000.
Consult with Edwards & Petersen | PLC
Every case is different. While we cannot promise any results, we can promise that your case will receive the attention it deserves and that our Mesa assault defense attorneys will work tirelessly to achieve the results you are seeking.
Brian was amazing throughout the entire legal process! I had several lawyers working on my case, but Brian was the only one ...- Kevin C.
I came in for a consultation to file paperwork on my own and they went over the paperwork page by page with me and answered ...- Sherrie W.
This organization was very professional and helpful during a trying time. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a great ...- Paul F.